Special consignmentsMaxi letter, army postal service, mail for the blind
The A Mail Maxi Letter is a service of Swiss Post for private customers. Mail is required to be handed in at post office counters by the time they close in the morning, but by 12 o'clock at the latest. At over 200 post offices, it is possible for mail to be handed in until 4 p.m. The closing times for acceptance are decisive for the service offered. Mail will be delivered on the next working day (Monday-Friday), letters posted on Saturday will be delivered on Tuesday. Posting as "registered" is not possible.
|Maxi letter||up to B4
(35.3 x 25 cm; up to 5 cm thick)
|up to 2000 g||
All prices incl. VAT.
Army postal service
Special regulations apply to mail to and from members of the army, and also from army command units, with regard to exemption from postage, addressing and formalities. Details can be found in the overview "Exemption from postage for military mail".
The following details must appear in the address block for mail to members of the army in service.
- Rank, first name, surname
- Exact description of the unit, staff headquarters, school or course
- Last address line Marked "Military" with the correct military postcode
Example field address
Sdt Hans Meier
Inf Kp 13/1
Example barracks address
If the recipient is stationed at a barracks, the destination may be stated.
Rekr Erich Müller
Pz RS 23-1
Kp 2, Zug 1
If you have any questions regarding military postcodes, please contact "Office Switzerland", tel. no. 031 381 25 25. Further information can also be found at www.feldpost.ch.
Mail for the blind
Items for the blind, so-called cécogrammes, are items of mail which are either addressed to or posted by blind people or institutions for the blind. Cécogrammes must be labelled "Articles for the blind".
Swiss Post dispatches such labelled consignments free of charge throughout Switzerland.
Articles for the blind up to B5 format (25 x 17,6 cm), up to 5 cm thick and up to 250 g or B4 format (35,3 x 25 cm), up to 2 cm thick and up to 1,000 g will be dispatched by A Mail if they bear the A Mail label. Articles for the blind that do not bear the A Mail label will be dispatched by B Mail.
- The mail does not serve any commercial purpose.
- The mail is not sealed.
- The mail contains documents in Braille or sound recordings.
- The description "Mail for the blind" appears on the same side as the address.
- Domestic mail up to 7 kg is postage-free.
- Registered mail, return receipts and COD items are free of charge.
- Mail for the blind which exceeds the maximum size for letters or weighs more than 1 kg will be sent subject to the same conditions as for parcels.
- (PDF, 12 MB)(german)